Dermatology visits are some of the most requested appointments in Veterinary Medicine. Cats and dogs can suffer from things like allergies just like we can, and as we all know, allergies can be frustrating to control, and even painful in severe cases. Outside of allergies, skin conditions can even be caused by hormonal disorders, bacterial or viral infections, autoimmune diseases, and even parasites! That’s why it’s so important to not only treat the symptom, but diagnose the underlying cause as well so we can ensure your pet’s comfort going forward.
Thankfully, we are prepared and experienced in delivering compassionate and thoughtful treatment for various skin conditions. There are many treatments available, from topical treatments, flea and tick prevention, antibiotics, and even medications or injections meant to remove the desire to itch, chew, or lick at the source. We also have the ability to do allergy testing!
Signs Your Pet Needs a Dermatology Exam:
- Your pet is losing hair in patches, or the hair is thinning
- Your pet has sores, purulence of the skin, flaking, hives or bumps, or scabbing
- Your pet’s skin has noticeable redness
- Your pet is scooting along the floor or other surfaces
- Your pet is chewing, licking, or itching their skin and paws excessively and sometimes to the point of creating hotspots
- Your pet rubs their face, ears, or body along the floor, other surfaces, or with their paws
- Your pet’s ears look red or inflamed and may have a foul odor coming from them
- Your pet’s skin feels hot to the touch or swollen
- Your pet has areas of the skin that seem very hardened and textured compared to other areas
If you’re concerned your pet may be experiencing skin irritations or discomfort, please reach out to us as soon as possible via phone call, text, or email. Let’s create a plan together to diagnose and treat your pet’s skin condition today.